Monday, March 12, 2012

VEGAN MAYONNAISE

Why can’t mayo be vegan? Why does the vegan stuff have to be so darned expensive? I don’t know about where you are, but here in my town, the vegan mayo is $9 a bottle! That’s right! And, that’s too darned much for this mayo lover who liberally slathers the stuff on everything and makes aiolis like nobody’s business. So, I decided I needed to do it myself. Now, I intend to save a bazillion dollars, buy half a bazillion lotto tickets, win the lottery and be set. Who would have thought that it would all start with making my own mayo?!

Ingredients:
½ cup plain soy milk
1 ¼ cup grape seed oil
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
½ tsp. dry mustard powder
½ tsp. salt

Directions:
Put the milk in a blender and run on high. While running, slowly drizzle in the oil. Once it starts to thicken, turn off the blender. My blender starts heating the contents if I run it for too long (if the mixture starts to get warm, it will break down the oil and it won’t thicken). If you want to make more, you should do it in batches, as it doesn’t work as well when you do it all at once. Pour or scoop the contents from the blender into a bowl and whisk in the remaining ingredients. It will thicken up more as you whisk it. Refrigerate. Aioli, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment