Wednesday, March 21, 2012

HOMEMADE PASTA NOODLES

We are celebrating St. Patrick’s Day a bit late with our friends. We are going to have an entirely green dinner, including green spaghetti with green sauce. I got this nifty pasta maker from the thrift store today (still in the box and never been used), and thought that I would put it to the test. When I looked up recipes online, they all called for eggs and specialty flours. Given that I have neither in my house, I thought I would figure this out on my own. My children LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mixing ingredients. If I don’t give them something to mix, they will find stuff to mix on their own (which always involves an enormous mess on my kitchen floor). This was a good task for them. Simple ingredients, simple process, and they got to crank the heck out of the machine. We added some natural green food coloring to make it festive (though I know it looks very unappetizing in the picture below, it appeals to most young boys – my daughter requested pink noodles for next time).

Ingredients:
1 Tbs. flaxseed meal
4 Tbs. water
4 Tbs. olive oil
½ tsp. salt
1 cup flour

Directions:
In a small bowl, combine flaxseed meal and 2 Tbs. water and let sit for 10 minutes. In a standing mixer combine flour and salt. Add flaxseed meal mixture and mix. Gradually add remaining 2 Tbs. water and oil. When well mixed, knead by hand for about 5 minutes. Let sit for 15 minutes. With a pasta machine, follow the instructions, and roll dough out to desired thinness, and then use the pasta machine to cut into strips of desired width. Boil as you would regular noodles.


No comments:

Post a Comment