Monday, March 12, 2012

FONDUE FOR THE FANCY PANTS, OR CHEESE SAUCE FOR THE JEANS-WEARER

We went to a lunch truck convention, of sorts, yesterday. One of the trucks was serving French fries with a fondue dripping from each fat fry. Taunting. Mocking. You know, the usual cheese stuff. As my large muscle-bound husband was practically reduced to tears, I decided that I wasn’t going to take this crap lying down. No siree, Bob! I am going to make my own darned vegan fondue. And, it’s going to be awesome. So take that, you lunch truck cheese. You ain’t got nothing on a vegan with something to prove!

Ingredients:
12 oz. extra firm tofu (that’s all I had on hand when I undertook this revengish matter; silken would be preferable)
2 small potatoes (about 1 cup), cooked until soft (I took two 2” potatoes, washed them, poked them with a fork a few times and put in the microwave for 2 minutes each)
½ cup white wine (I used the cheap cooking wine crap)
4 Tbs. nutritional yeast
2 Tbs. Earth Balance (butter substitute), melted
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
2 Tbs. refrigerated coconut milk (unflavored/unsweetened)
¾ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. smoked paprika
¼ tsp. lemon juice
Pinch white pepper

Directions:
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. If you use the potatoes as soon as they come out of the microwave, the sauce will be warm. Otherwise, just heat it in a small sauce pan on the stove over low heat until warm and starting to bubble. Add coconut milk to thin it out as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment