Thursday, March 22, 2012

BUTTER (that's right, butter for us vegans)

I really like the Earth Balance butter substitute. It tastes great, it fries great, it bakes great. No complaints about the product itself, other than I simply cannot get enough of it! I want more! But, sadly, I cannot afford more. Will I let a little issue of cost get me down? Nay! I will just make it myself and save gads of money! I found this recipe on the fantastic interwebs, made a few tiny tweaks and thought I should pass it along. It is unbelievably simple and, I swear, it TASTES LIKE BUTTER! If this can be done, think about the possibilities! Cheese, anyone?!

Ingredients:
¼ cup + 2 tsp. soy milk
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
 ¼ + 1/8 tsp. salt
½ cup + 2 Tbs. + 1 tsp. refined coconut oil (put in microwave for 30 seconds and only 30 seconds)
1 Tbs. canola oil
2 ¼ tsp. soy lecithin granules
 ¼ tsp. xanthan gum

Directions:
Whisk together the milk, vinegar and salt in a small cup, and let it sit for 10 minutes. Place all ingredients in a blender, and mix on high for 2 minutes. Pour the mixture into a mold and place it in the freezer to solidify for about an hour. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month or wrapped in plastic wrap in the freezer for up to 1 year. Makes 1 cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment