Monday, March 12, 2012

BEST HOAGIE ROLLS – EVER!

If you read my previous entry, you will know that I like me some sammies. Let me reiterate: I LOVE me some sammies, but nothing compared to my husband’s affinity for the entree! However, if they aren’t served on the perfect hoagie roll, you might as well forget it. My husband loves these rolls made only in Philadelphia. Slightly crusty on the outside but soft and chewy on the inside. We can’t get them here, though. So, we have been gettin’ by… But, I am here to tell you that I am not going to just merely “get by” any more! I am going to have those slightly-crusty-on-the-outside-but-soft-and-chewy-on-the-inside rolls, darned it! Sorry to have gotten in such an uproar, but if you like your sammies like I do, then you know my urgency. Well, it was worth the effort because these lovely pillows of dough are simply sublime. Sammie lovers rejoice!

Ingredients:
1 ¼ cups very hot water
1 Tbs. olive oil
3 cups bread flour
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. sea salt
2 ½ tsp. active yeast
Corn meal flour for dusting

Directions:
Pour hot water and olive oil into a bread machine. Top with the flour. In one corner, pour in the sugar. In the opposite corner, pour in the salt. Dig a small well in the center of the flour and pour in the yeast. Set the machine on “dough” setting. Start. (Mine takes 1 hour 50 minutes). When the timer goes off, let sit in the bread machine for 15 minutes. Take out and divide dough into 6 sections. On a lightly floured surface, gently form each ball into separate loaves – don’t work the dough too much; the small imperfections will cook out. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a loaf pan with water in the oven (the moisture is key for the slightly crusty, but not too crusty crust). Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. HOWEVER, AND THIS IS KEY – spray the loaves with water every 3 minutes until done. After the first spray, sprinkle the corn meal flour on the tops. KEEP SPRAYING EVERY 3 MINUTES. Remove from oven. Look at them. Smell their awesomeness. Feel the weightless pieces of joy in your hands. Then, let cool and slather with your sammie condiments. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment