Monday, March 12, 2012

BBQ LUNCHMEAT

I never loved meat so much when I was a carnivore. However, now I am on a meat mission (substitute meat, that is). This recipe is not my recipe – I found one on the magical interwebs and made some modifications. Paired with the BBQ sauce, you will think you have died and gone to a Sourthern BBQ shack. Enjoy, my substitute meat lovers!

Ingredients:
1 cup white beans
2 cups water
¼ cup canola oil
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. tumeric
1 tsp. ground fennel
1 tsp. sage
¼ tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. Bragg’s Liquid Aminoes
2 ¾ cup vital wheat gluten
BBQ sauce (recipe follows)

Directions:
Place everything except the wheat gluten and BBQ sauce in the blender and blend until smooth. Add wet ingredients to wheat gluten and mix thoroughly. Divide mixture in half and roll each ball up into a tube that is about 2 ½” in diameter. Place in water bath and cook for 90 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Once cool, slice thinly and pour BBQ sauce over it. I usually throw it into baggies and put it into the freezer for a quick meal. But, if you can’t wait until then, go ahead and chow down!

BBQ SAUCE

Now that I have been on my meat rampage, it only makes sense to throw some BBQ sauce into the mix. For a perfect sammie (see prior posts for a friendly reminder of my affinity for the sammie), marinade the prepared lunchmeat in this BBQ sauce, and serve on freshly made hoagie rolls, and topped with some fresh slaw. Oh dear. I think I know what I’m asking for on my birthday!

Ingredients:
¾ cup ketchup
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs. yellow mustard
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground allspice
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
Few dashes of hot sauce

Directions:
Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Makes you wonder why you never made your own BBQ sauce, doesn’t it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment