Wednesday, February 29, 2012

HOT DOG!

I have been on a mission to make my own substitute meat. Thanks for joining me on this strange journey. These dogs turned out just great (if I do say so myself)! I made a batch, put them in the freezer, and pulled a few out for dinner. I just cooked them in a frying pan with a touch of oil. It made for a nice crispy skin. Who would have thought that hot dogs would once again be a healthy option?! Hot Dog, I am so excited!

Ingredients:
3 tsp. fennel seed
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. sweet paprika
1 tsp. smoked paprika
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. sugar
1 can pinto beans, drained
2 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbs. olive oil
4 Tbs. Bragg’s Liquid Aminoes
4 tsp. garlic, minced
½ cup nutritional yeast
2 ½ cups vital wheat gluten
 
Directions:
Get a steamer ready. I use my rise maker, which has a steamer basket in it. Get the water boiling. In a grinder (I use my coffee bean grinder), mix all of the herbs, spices and sugar. Grind until a fine powder. In a blender, combine all ingredients, except for the wheat gluten. Pulse 3-4 times. You still want some small chunks of the beans. In a bowl, combine the wheat gluten and the blender mix. Stir until well-incorporated. Don’t be afraid to use your hands. Separate into 12 pieces. Form each piece into a 5” cylinder and wrap in a sheet of aluminum foil (twist the foil at the ends). Steam for 40 minutes. Now, you have your dogs ready to use. You can cook them in a frying pan, throw them on the BBQ, whatever. You can thank me later.

Yield: 12 hot dogs

No comments:

Post a Comment