Monday, February 20, 2012

BREAKFAST ICE CREAM

My children love ice cream. I haven’t met a kid that doesn’t! Breakfast in our house can sometimes be difficult. I don’t like feeding them cereal; I don’t have eggs; and sometimes, I don’t feel like putting forth the effort for a full-blown affair. I made the “ice cream” (which has no milk or milk-substitutes – it’s just fruit, veggies and protein powder) and the granola yesterday, so now we have breakfasts for many days, and both items keep well. If you want to speed the process up even more, just use your favorite brand of store-bought granola. The “ice cream” really more closely resembles sorbet, but I don’t think my kids would be lining up for seconds (or even firsts if I referred to it as sorbet).

Ingredients:
Ice Cream:
2 large leaves of kale
1 medium sized carrot
½ apple, cored
¾ cup (or 2 thick slices) of fresh pineapple
½ orange
1 banana
2 Tbs. agave syrup
½ cup protein powder, unflavored
½ bag frozen mixed berries
 
Granola:
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (not the quick cook)
¾ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
½ Tbs. canola oil
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
½ tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. cinnamon, ground
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup dried cherries
 
Directions:
Puree all “ice cream” ingredients in a heavy-duty blender (I have a stick that presses the food down to the blade). Pour puree mixture into a freezer safe container and freeze (when you use it, you will have to leave it out for a bit to soften it up). Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line large cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients, except for the dried cherries. Pour mixture onto prepare cookie sheet and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and mix in cherries. To assemble: pour some granola in the bottom of your bowls, scoop some ice cream over the tops and drizzle with honey or agave. Best breakfast ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment