Monday, January 16, 2012

AMARANTH ORANGE CREAMSICLE

How do I get my people to eat their grains when I have all of these tempting clementines just laying about the house, luring them in with their citrusy goodness? Well, I combine the two, of course! Do you remember those little cups of orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream, swirled together? Do you remember eating them on warm summer days in the lunchroom with the little tiny wooden spoon? I do, and those are fond food memories. While I neither anticipated nor dreaded most of the other cafeteria food offerings, the orange creamsicle was a winner for me. I would have eaten a bowl of raw brussel sprouts if it meant getting an orange creamsicle. These are the memories that inspired this morning’s breakfast. In keeping with my goal of getting more protein-rich grains in our diets, amaranth became our new best friend. And, we don’t even need to wait until summer to appreciate this dish!

Ingredients:
½ cup amaranth
1 ½ cup coconut milk (I use SO Delicious or Silk brands)
¼ tsp. orange extract (not flavor – extract, my friend)
Pinch cardamom
2 Clementines, sectioned and each section cut in ½
Zest from 1 clementines (about ½ tsp.)
2 Tbs. honey
2 Tbs. vanilla coconut yogurt

Directions:
In a sauce pan, combine amaranth, coconut milk, orange extract and cardamom. Cook over medium high heat until it starts to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Add clementine zest and honey and stir well to incorporate. Add clementines and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Top with a dollop of yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment