Sunday, January 15, 2012

HAMBURGER CRUMBLES

I am now entering into the foray of homemade meat substitutes. I found out the other day that my beloved Quorn was not vegan! WHAT?! Needless to say, I was crushed. But, I have been meaning to make more of my own meat substitutes anyway, so this just pushed me a bit harder. I want to move away from processed stuff. My plan is to make large amounts at a time and freeze it into smaller servings so that I can just grab it and cook like I did before. (The picture is after it is crumbled, but before it has been browned).

Ingredients:
1 tsp. whole fennel seed
¼. Tsp. coarse black pepper
¼ tsp. whole caraway seeds
1 tsp. coriander
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1 ½ tsp. brown sugar
¾ cup water or mushroom broth
2 Tbs. Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
4 cups vegetable broth + 2 cups water for cooking
¼ cup onion, coursely chopped
 
Directions:
In a small grinder (I use a coffee bean grinder), add the fennel, pepper, caraway and coriander and grind until smooth. Combine gluten flour, dry spices and brown sugar in a medium sized bowl. In a separate bowl, mix Liquid Aminos and ¾ cup broth or water. Add liquid to dry ingredients and stir gently to combine. After a few initial stirs, you’ll probably need to use your hands for this. (It is supposed to have a rubbery texture). Once mixture is well combined, knead seitan 10 times, allow to sit for 5 minutes, then knead 5 more times. Separate your ball of gluten into 3 pieces. Stretch each piece into a flat cutlet, around ¾” thick. Add seitan to broth, water and the onion in a large pot and bring to a slow simmer. Cover pot and allow to cook for an hour or more. Seitan is done cooking when it has firmed up and expanded. Remove from broth, allow to cool and then chop up (I used my apple corer thingy and chopped up the pieces into smaller pieces, then I used my large knife to finish it off until it resembled crumbles). Freeze for next use. Brown like you would the other crumbles. I am so proud of myself! Yeah!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment