Wednesday, January 18, 2012

CHERRY PORRIDGE

Tis the season for warm breakfasts (which you likely know now that I have been on a posting rampage). It is also the season for cherries (in Australia).  I have both in my house, and I am ready to make breakfast! My children are more likely to eat their food if we read a book during meal time. As a result, sometimes the book dictates the food we eat, which keeps me on my toes. As you can guess, this breakfast pairs well with “Goldilocks and the Three Little Bears.” Hopefully, it will be just right…

Ingredients:
1 cup mix of wild & whole grain brown rice
2 cups coconut milk
¼ tsp. cinnamon
18 cherries, pitted and quartered
2 Tbs. honey
½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped

Directions:
Place rice, milk, vanilla and cinnamon into rice maker and cook according to directions (or on the stove if you don’t have a rice maker). When done, add cherries, honey and pecans. I like to toast my pecans, but you don’t have to. To toast them, just place them on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes. Voila! My little bears are ready for their porridge!


No comments:

Post a Comment