Sunday, January 15, 2012

CABBAGE CILANTRO SLAW

I love coleslaw. I always have. Even when I was little and it consisted of nothing more than chopped green cabbage and mayo – lots of mayo. Maybe because the cabbage was always fresh from my mother’s garden. Maybe because it was slathered with generous amounts of mayo (which this version is not). Whatever the reason, coleslaw has a special place in my culinary heart. This is a slight elevation of my childhood experience (a few more flavors and not so gloppy), but not such a deviation that it leaves me hankering to revisit my childhood slaw. These flavors are fresh and addictive, the dish is pretty, and this is a wonderfully healthy raw side dish. Mmmmm…. I can feel the squishy dirt from my mother’s garden under my feet…

Ingredients:
1 small head red cabbage, chopped or grated (whatever you prefer)
½ bunch cilantro, chopped
½ cup onion, finely diced
1/3 cup Veganaise
1 tsp. lemon juice
½ tsp. dried sage
½ tsp. dried dill
¼ - ½ tsp. garlic salt (depending on your love of salt)

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine cabbage, cilantro and onion. In a separate small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Pour over cabbage mixture and incorporate thoroughly. It’s ready to eat now or tomorrow. I think it tastes better when the flavors have a chance to develop. Cheers to my coleslaw-loving self!

No comments:

Post a Comment