Monday, December 26, 2011

HERBED CIABATTA BREAD

I LOVE this recipe! The thought of doing anything outside of the bread maker initially scared me, but a recent visit from my brother-in-law’s fiancée forced me outside of my comfort zone – and I have been there ever since. When my brother-in-law and his fiancée recently visited, she told me that she preferred ciabatta bread over all others. In an attempt to find something that she would love, I searched the interwebs for something that I could just do in the bread machine and let it be. But, it would not be so. I am so glad that she mentioned this bread, and I am so glad that I did not shy away from the challenge. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups water
1 T. white truffle oil
3 ¼ cups bread flour
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 ½ tsp. bread machine yeast
2 Tbs. dried herbs de province
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 tsp. garlic salt
 
Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly flour cookie sheet. Place the water and white truffle oil in the bread machine. Top with the flour. In one corner, pour in the salt; in another corner, pour in the sugar. Dig a little well in the middle of the flour and pour in the yeast. Select the “dough” setting on the machine. When it has about 1 hour 15 minutes left (my machine just beeps when it’s time to make additions), add the dried herbs. Once the machine is done, leave the dough in the machine for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from the machine and separate into two separate balls. The dough is very sticky – just let it fall from your fingers onto the floured cookie sheet. Sprinkle flour on top and form into two loaves. Poke your finger all over the top. Cover with a towel and let sit for another 45 minutes. Dimple again and place in the oven. After 3 minutes, brush the tops with water. After another 3 minutes, brush the tops again with water. After another 3 minutes, brush the tops with olive oil and sprinkle with the garlic salt. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until the top is nice and crusty. Remove from the oven and serve. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment