Monday, December 26, 2011

THE DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS DINNER

Family and friends have just feasted on traditional Christmas dinners. Now, they make their way to my home for something different. In looking through my various magazines and cookbooks, I came across a lamb tagine recipe in Food & Wine, as well as a roasted cauliflower recipe in Food & Wine. They spoke to me. They said, “tonight is the night for Moroccan food!” So, I listened. The recipes that I used are all slightly tweaked versions that appear either in Food & Wine, or in my cookbook, “The Moroccan Collection” by Hilaire Walden. Some of the recipes are taken right out of the magazine or cookbook, others are altered to make them vegan and/or better (in my opinion). Here’s our menu for tonight’s feast:

Bean and Mint Spread over Crostinis
Carrot Salad with Cinnamon, Lemon and Honey (The Moroccan Collection)
Fried Spinach with Nuts (The Moroccan Collection)
Roasted Cauliflower with Honey and Tahini (Food & Wine)
Tagine with Chickpeas and Apricots (The Moroccan Collection)
Chocolate Curry Cake with Coconut Cream

It would seem that ethnic food would not be welcomed by young eaters. Mine seemed to like the food, but they always adhere to the rule of trying everything before making a decision. My son likes to say “I don’t prefer this” if he tries something and doesn’t like it. People usually laugh when they hear him say it; it goes over so much better than “This is yucky!” Not, that we had any “I don’t prefer this” comments tonight. Lucky us!

No comments:

Post a Comment