Monday, September 26, 2011

QUINOA AND NEIGHBORS

Although quinoa, tempeh and cappage are not technically neighbors, they all coexist peacefully in my humble abode. Today, they got a little better acquainted in this dish and, surprisingly, played together very well. If you have been keeping up with my recent blog entries, you will know that my mother was kind enough to bestow on my family her home-grown cabbage, so I have been on a mission to use it all up in new ways. Hence, quinoa and cabbage’s new relationship… I am proud of my new matchmaking role. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
2 Tbs. Earth Balance
2 cups red cabbage, shredded
½ cup onion, chopped
5 slices of Tempeh “bacon”, broken into small pieces
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground sage
2 cups mushroom or vegetable broth
1 cup red quinoa

Directions:
Heat butter in frying pan over medium heat until melted. Add cabbage, tempeh, onions, salt and sage. Cook until cabbage and onions are soft (about 10 minutes). Set aside. Meanwhile, heat broth and quinoa in sauce pan over high heat until it starts to boil, then turn down to low heat and cover. Cook until the liquid has been absorbed (about 15 minutes). Add cabbage mixture to quinoa, stir and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment