Wednesday, June 15, 2011

KICKIN' KOLRABI CHIPS

I saw these odd-looking root veggies in the produce aisle and thought, “What the heck… This should be fun.” Then, they sat in the fridge for a few days because I had no idea what to do with it. When I finally decided to plunge in, I cut the tops off, then took a vegetable peeler and peeled until the texture looked different. Pretty technical explanation, isn’t it? Then I smelled it. I fancy myself to have super hero smelling abilities. It smelled bit radish-y, so I was a little nervous. But, when paired with the mesquite seasoning, it all made sense.

Ingredients:
2 Tbs. Earth Balance
1 Tbs. olive oil
3 small kolrabi, peeled and sliced paper thin with a mandolin
2 pinches of sea salt
1 Tbs. onion, minced
1 tsp. smoky mesquite seasoning

Directions:

Heat Earth Balance and olive oil in skillet over medium high heat until melted. Add kolrabi and onion; sprinkle with salt and cook until translucent and starting to brown, stilling frequently (about 8-10 minutes). Remove from heat and sprinkle chips with mesquite seasoning, tossing to evenly coat. Note, these will not be crispy like potato chips (just so that we properly set expectations). My kids like them served with a side of ketchup.


1 comment:

  1. Great idea!  I've been looking for creative recipes because I grow kohlrabi in my garden, and it's actually one of the things the bunnies don't eat...

    ReplyDelete