Tuesday, May 10, 2011

PUMPKIN PILES

In all honesty, I bought these beautiful fresh red pepper pasta noodles at the store. They were red and I thought to myself, “Wow, these would make beautiful ravioli!” I started the process, created a ravioli mix from stuff I found in the kitchen, and then discovered that I wouldn’t be able to use the pasta for ravioli because there was no way to seal the little packets. So, out of that mistake was born this little creation. As you know, I am a big proponent of pumpkin (excellent source of beta-carotene) and kale (high in fiber and an excellent source of a variety of nutrients). This dish is not thick enough to constitute lasagna, but it is more manageable for your shorter eaters – and it still tastes substantial. My short people seemed impressed.

Ingredients:
1 15-oz. can pumpkin puree
½ cup crumbled goat cheese
¼ tsp. dried sage
1 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
¼ tsp. salt
1 egg
1 head kale, rinsed well and chopped
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. minced garlic
10 oz. fresh lasagna noodles, not the boxed variety (I used red pepper noodles, but you could use whatever you prefer or find)
8 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 F. In a bowl, mix pumpkin, goat cheese, sage, parsley, salt and egg. In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat, add garlic and kale and sauté until soft – just before it starts to brown, stirring frequently (about 5-8 minutes). Remove from heat. To assemble the pile: spread about 3 Tbs. pumpkin mixture on bottom of 9”x13” glass pan, place noodles atop mixture, spread 1/3 pumpkin mixture over noodles, 1/3 kale over pumpkin mixture, and 1/3 cheese atop kale. Repeat twice more. Bake for 40 minutes, or until done.


No comments:

Post a Comment