Tuesday, May 17, 2011

NEW WORLD PIZZA

I was at the grocery store the other day and came across some fresh pizza dough, and it got me thinking, “how can I get some kale on this?” Me and my kale... Kale is the superstar of veggies. I thought, perhaps, I could make some kale pesto, but I didn’t have any pine nuts in the pantry. However, I did have some peeled, cooked and sealed chestnuts in there. If you read my previous blog, you will understand how such things find their way into my cupboards. Anyhow, I threw the pesto ingredients into a blender, and that’s how this dish came into being. What child doesn’t like pizza? It’s another of those foods that allows you to easily throw in some veggies. If you want (and I typically do), use some premade pizza sauce, premade pizza crust, add some veggies and top with cheese – and, you have a dinner that your kids will eat and an easy dinner about which you will feel good feeding your children. 

Ingredients:
Pizza crust
1 ½ cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
              Pesto
1 small bunch kale
2 Tbs. crushed garlic
2 Tbs. lemon juice
½ cup olive oil
2 Tbs. water
7 oz. peeled and cooked chestnuts
½ salt
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
              Toppings
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 portabella mushroom cap, sliced
1 small sweet onion, sliced thinly
1 tsp. garlic, minced

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 F. Combine all pesto ingredients into a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Heat olive oil in large frying pan and sauté mushroom, onion and garlic until soft and starting to brown – about 6 minutes. Spread about ¼ cup pesto on pizza dough, arrange veggies, and top with parmesan cheese and Monterey Jack cheese. Cook about 20 minutes, or until done. You are going to have leftover pesto – great on a French baguette half  with some mozzarella cheese on top and broiled; it is an interesting alternative to traditional garlic bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment